**Updated Friday, May 15, 2020**
Today, our region began phase one of the state’s regional phased reopening plan – Phase One allows businesses in the following sectors to re-open:
Construction, Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting, Retail – (Limited to curbside or in-store pickup or drop off), Manufacturing and Wholesale Trade
As an “essential” business we have been allowed to continued serving families experiencing a loss. However, New York State clearly defined “essential” and “non-essential” funeral services. Funeral services deemed “non-essential” are NOT ALLOWED in Phase 1, Including:
- NO public gatherings of individuals of any size for any reason [visitations and services]
- Relating to funeral services specifically the Governor’s office clarified that ONLY immediate family may gather for private services and be limited to as few as possible
- When in public individuals must practice social distancing of at least six feet
- When in public masks or face-coverings must be worn
- Businesses providing essential services must implement rules facilitating social distancing of six feet
NOTE: Governor Cuomo increased the maximum fine for violating social distancing orders to $1,000 and is asking residents to file complaints on the New York State Department of Health website if they witness a violation.
Ed and Josh E. Miller and their staff recognize and hear the unhappiness experienced by families wishing to Honor, Remember and Celebrate their loved ones under the executed restrictions. We remain committed to creating solutions meeting the needs of our families while continuing to honor a social contract to follow the rules and regulations from state and local leadership.
Additionally, we recognize our community’s social isolation fatigue [not visiting loved ones in the hospital or nursing home, not celebrating birthdays publicly, the inability to Honor, Remember and Celebrate loved ones…]. We share this fatigue as individuals and as funeral service professionals limited in our ability to support individuals walking their individualized grief pathway.
We are available by e-mail JoshMiller@Miller1889.com or phone (585) 424-3700 in Rochester and (585) 924-5730 in Victor to discuss questions and concerns for any member of our community.
Josh E. Miller
President & 5th Generation Owner